Monday, July 22, 2013

What Goes Around Comes Around: 1960s Trend Revival

Fashion is always retro, but always on the basis of the abolition of the passé (the past): the spectral death and resurrection of forms. Its proper actuality (its 'up-to-dateness', its 'relevance') is not a reference to the present, but an immediate and total recycling.
JEAN BAUDRILLARD, Symbolic Exchange and Death

Jean Baudrillard hit the nail on the head. Fashion is total recycling. How many times have you worn a trend and your mother, for example, has said 'that used to be in fashion when I was young'? Think about it. Many times. 

In reality, some trends are meant to stay in the past - I look back at the trouser-skirts I wore in the 90s and shudder - but I'm very open to trying out recycled trends. I prefer not to call them 'recycled' though, I think 'revival', or 'reawakening', or 'revitalisation' are more accurate. I could go on and on. With this revitalisation of trends happening more or less every year, there's bound to be one that we all love in particular. And this is what the current 1960s trend revival is for me. I've got 1960s fever; a longing to be part of the sixties scene. 





What's not to love? The 1960s trend revival encompasses more than just a knee length swing skirt or an a-line hem, it means bright colours, bold prints, cat-eye shades, and looking oh-so-fabulous all at the same time. I don't care if it's been done before - revivals happen for a reason, and this one is so that we can all enjoy what those youth of the sixties did: fabulous shapes, prints and colours. 

I've scoured the internet and compiled lists of my three favourite elements to 1960s fashion - all items are available right now, either online or in store. Most of these items are on my current wishlist (emphasis on wish).

1. Topshop, £70
2. Alice & Olivia, £180
3. Motel, £35
4. Miss Selfridge, £25
5. Forever 21, £10
6. Miss Selfridge, £35
1. ASOS, £35
2. Topshop, £55
3. Next, £28
4. Mango, £64.99
5. Michael Kors, £120
6. Zara, £59.99


1. MSGM, £290
2. Topshop, £20
3. ASOS, 18
4. Louis Vuitton, £750
5. Louis Vuitton, £2,150
6. ASOS, £52
7. M Missoni, £350

Want to channel the 1960s vibe? I hope I've convinced you. If not, take a look at this webpage focused on the 1960s in fashion to see key designers, looks and styles. Feel free to share any comments/ queries about the products and the trend itself.

- A.T.

3 comments:

  1. The 60s are probably my favorite decade! The fashion, the music - so amazing! Can't wait to stock up on some checkered pieces! If only I could afford the LV shoes because those are just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree! I'm in love with LV's whole checkered-style collection. We can dream :)

      Delete
  2. Love your picks! You should have links to them!

    ♥ emma elise
    http://itsemmaelise.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete